Student Senate is the Legislative Branch of the Student Government Association. The Senate can legislate on any issue concerning students. All motions go through one of ten Senate Committees for initial consideration before it’s brought to the floor for a vote.:
- Academic and Faculty Affairs
- Buildings and Grounds
- Constitutional Order
- Dining Advisory
- Election Rules and Procedures
- Ethics and Conduct
- Legislative and Administrative Affairs
- Environmental Sustainability
The Student Senate meets every Wednesday at 5:00p in the James Farmer Lecture Hall in Monroe Hall (Rm. 116) to discuss the issues that the student body asks to be dealt with. Senators are chosen at the beginning of each academic year throughout the residence halls and the student body at-large.
The SGA Vice President also serves as the President of Senate and its official spokesperson. The Vice President of Senate is elected at the beginning of each academic year from among the current senators. The Parliamentarian and Secretary are appointed as necessary by the President of Senate.
President of Senate: Theodosius Zotos – firstname.lastname@example.org
Vice-President: Lauren Taylor – email@example.com
Secretary: Jamie McGuire – firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested in joining Senate? Just follow these steps:
- Be a full-time, undergraduate UMW student.
- Gather 50 signatures of other UMW students like yourself.
- Email the President of the Senate, Theo Zotos, at email@example.com.
- Come to a Senate meeting on Wednesdays at 5:00 pm in Room 116 of Monroe Hall.
- Be inducted into the Senate ranks by a vote of current senators!
Have any questions? Contact Theo or email firstname.lastname@example.org.